What is OSC?
What is OSC used for?
How does OSC work?
How do we use OSC in stage lighting control?
Lighting Controllers with OSC
- ETC EOS family of lighting desks.
- Whole Hog 4
- Martin M-Series
- ChamSys MagicQ (from 184.108.40.206)
Other software lighting control
- Freestyler – Free DMX Lighting Controller
- Luminair – iPad Lighting Control
- LightJams – A really interesting multi-function piece of lighting control software.
Related software which I use that also has OSC
- Resolume Arena – A really great media server / VJ software that does a load of different things really well.
- Qlab 3 – Theatre style playback and show control, including OSC send and receive.
So, there are a lot of potential uses for OSC in both triggering and actually controlling stage lighting systems live, particularly when integrated with audio and video playback. In lighting, we are now turning to OSC as a solution in a range of control situations. Media playback is now such an integral part of our work in the visual experience that lighting contributes to, it’s worth looking into OSC for your future shows if you haven’t already done so.
If you have particular experience or questions about using OSC and lighting control systems, put them in the comments section as usual. Cheers.